Industrial Wind Turbines and Health:
Wind Turbines Can Harm Humans if too close to Residents
Compiled by Carmen Krogh, BScPharm
Ambrose, Stephen E.; Rand, Robert W.; and Krogh, Carmen M. E. Wind Turbine Acoustic Investigation: Infrasound and Low-Frequency Noise A Case Study DOI: 10.1177/0270467612455734 Bulletin of Science Technology & Society
published online 17 August 2012
|Image: Steve Hunter via Andy's Rant|
Wind turbines produce sound that is capable of disturbing local residents and is reported to cause annoyance, sleep disturbance, and other health-related impacts. An acoustical study was conducted to investigate the presence of infrasonic and low-frequency noise emissions from wind turbines located in Falmouth, Massachusetts, USA. During the study, the investigating acousticians experienced adverse health effects consistent with those reported by some Falmouth residents. The authors conclude that wind turbine acoustic energy was found to be greater than or uniquely distinguishable from the ambient background levels and capable of exceeding human detection thresholds. The authors emphasize the need for epidemiological and laboratory research by health professionals and acousticians concerned with public health and well-being to develop effective and precautionary setback distances for industrial wind turbines that protect residents from wind turbine sound.
The Paper continues with a list of studies, their links and Abstracts. To see the original paper - go to http://wiseenergy.org/Energy/Krogh_Industrial_Wind_Turbines_Health_Summary_References.pdf
Some of the listed papers -there are a further 41 papers.
- Bernert RA, and Joiner TE: Sleep disturbances and suicide risk: A review of the literature;
- Bronzaft, Arline L. The Noise from Wind Turbines: Potential Adverse Impacts on Children's Well-Being ;
- Enbom H and Enbom IM, Infrasound from wind turbines: An overlooked health hazard;
- Farboud, A.; Crunkhorn, R.; and Trinidade, A. Wind turbine syndrome: fact or fiction?
- Harrison, John P. Wind Turbine Noise;
- Havas, Magda and Colling, David Wind Turbines Make Waves:Why Some Residents Near Wind Turbines Become Ill;
- Hanning, Christopher D. and Evans, Alun: British Medical Journal, Editorial: Wind turbine noise;
- Horner, Brett; Jeffery Roy D.; and Krogh, Carmen M. E. Literature Reviews on Wind Turbines and Health : Are They Enough?
- James, Richard R. Wind Turbine Infra and Low-Frequency Sound: Warnings Signs That Were Not Heard;
- Jeffery, Roy D.; Krogh, Carmen; and Horner, Brett Industrial wind turbines and adverse health effects;
- Jeffery, Roy D.; Krogh, Carmen; and Horner, Brett Adverse health effects of industrial wind turbines
- Jeffery, Roy D.; Krogh, Carmen; and Horner, Brett Adverse health effects of industrial wind turbines (Letter to the Editor)
H/t John Droz Jr