R. Timothy Patterson is a professor of geology at Carleton University, where he is Director of the Ottawa-Carleton Geoscience Centre in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. He is also a Senior Visiting Fellow in the School of Geography, Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland. He holds a B.Sc. in Biology, B.A. in Geology, both from Dalhousie University,Halifax, Nova Scotia and a Ph.D. in geology from theUniversity of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
As of 2007, Patterson has published over 120 articles in peer-reviewed journals.
For a few years now, this blog has displayed a quote from Tim Patterson at the head of this page:
“Climate is and always has been variable. The only constant about climate is change; it changes continually.”Another fuller quote (LINK):
Climate stability has never been a feature of planet Earth. The only constant about climate is change; it changes continually and, at times, quite rapidly. Many times in the past, temperatures were far higher than today, and occasionally, temperatures were colder. As recently as 6,000 years ago, it was about 3C warmer than now. Ten thousand years ago, while the world was coming out of the thou-sand-year-long "Younger Dryas" cold episode, temperatures rose as much as 6C in a decade -- 100 times faster than the past century's 0.6C warming that has so upset environmentalists.So, who are the REAL climate change deniers?
- natural climate change denial
- denial that coal and petroleum work better than unicorn farts as fuels,
- denial that a small amount of warming is better than killing millions of poor people by restricting access to inexpensive energy,
- denial that the human-induced component of climate change is anything but catastrophic and an emergency,
- denial that an increasing number of scientists are becoming skeptics,
- denial that IPCC scientists were caught red-handed trying to silence the opposition and “hide the decline”,
- denial of the observations, which show much less warming than any of the climate models can explain over the last 30+ years.
The real climate change deniers are the Warmists who say (or at least pretend for their cause) climate has been constant throughout history but has taken an upturn in the last half century due to human CO2 emissions.
Rowan Dean, an advertising creative director and a panellist on the Gruen Transfer, has written an opinion piece in the Australian (Link). He starts:
WHEN you've run out of positive things to say in advertising, the easiest trick is to make up a monster. The uglier and more repulsive the better.He goes on to say that the advocates of the carbon tax have cottoned on to this trick.
The hideous "climate change denier" is as ugly and repulsive as any toilet germ gremlin.Only a fool or an alarmists would deny "climate change."