He could start with an explanation of this graph of global temperatures showing warming from 1978 to 2002 and no warming since:
The above graph is part of a post by John L Sullivan on Climate Realists. He is countering a blatant alarmist Washington post oped piece by Richard Cohen. He could well be addressing Professor Chubb.
He starts by mentioning the resignation of professor Ivar Giaever from The American Physical Society previously recorded on TCS blog here. He then goes on to itemise 50 former IPCC experts who have seen the light. He gives a quote from each. Here are a few:Sadly for Cohen the facts below prove he is just another mendacious mainstream propagandist of climate alarmism.
- 3. Dr John Christy: "Little known to the public is the fact that most of the scientists involved with the IPCC do not agree that global warming is occurring. Its findings have been consistently misrepresented and/or politicized with each succeeding report."
- 6. Dr Judith Curry: "I'm not going to just spout off and endorse the IPCC because I don't have confidence in the process."
- 13. Dr Eigil Friis-Christensen: "The IPCC refused to consider the sun's effect on the Earth's climate as a topic worthy of investigation. The IPCC conceived its task only as investigating potential human causes of climate change."
- 33. Dr Patrick Michaels: "The rates of warming, on multiple time scales have now invalidated the suite of IPCC climate models. No, the science is not settled."
- 16. Dr Vincent Gray: "The (IPCC) climate change statement is an orchestrated litany of lies."
- 34. Dr Nils-Axel Morner: "If you go around the globe, you find no sea level rise anywhere."
E-mails from Phil Jones (East Anglia University)
March 11, 2003
“I will be emailing the journal to tell them I’m having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor.”
July 8, 2004
“I can’t see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow — even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!”
Professor Paul Roderick Gregory in Forbes writes:
Can We Really Call Climate Science A Science?
In Australia we must also ask some follow-up questions:
The debate between “warmists” and “skeptics” is about whether human Co2 emissions are the cause of warming, whether the relatively small effects of these emissions will compound into larger changes, and, if so, whether, the benefits of remediation outweigh the costs.
- Will a carbon dioxide tax cause any reduction in Global Temperatures?
- Will a 5% cut in Australia's Co2 emissions make any difference?
First, Ivar Giaever, the 1973 winner of the Nobel Prize in physics, resigned from the American Physical Society over his disagreement with its statement that “the evidence (on warming alarmism) is incontrovertible.” Instead, he writes that the evidence suggests that “the temperature has been amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely improved in this ‘warming’ period.”
Second, the editor of Remote Sensing resigned and disassociated himself from a skeptical paper co-authored by University of Alabama Climate Scientist Roy Spencer after an avalanche of criticism by “warmists.” His resignation brings to mind Phil Jones’ threat to “get rid of troublesome editors” (cited above).
Third, the New York Times and other major media are ridiculing Texas Governor Rick Perry for saying that global warming is “not proven.” Their message: Anyone who does not sign on to global warming alarmism is an ignorant hayseed and clearly not presidential material.
Gregory says that the Giaever story shows that there is no consensus or as he puts it - disputes claims of "inconvertible evidence." The editor's resignation he describes as "unprofessional behaviour."
Third: The media is tarring and feathering Rick Perry, we now see, for agreeing with Nobel laureate Giaever and a host of other prominent scientists. I guess if Perry is a know-nothing Texas hick (or worse, a pawn of Big Oil) so is every other scientist who dares to disagree with the IPCC Central Committee.Gregory's conclusion:
False claims of consensus and inconvertible truth reveal a political or ideological agenda wrapped in the guise of science. The incontrovertible bad behavior of the warmists has led skeptics to suspect base motives, and who could blame them?
Of course, none of this contrary opinion found its way to air in Four Corners tendentious "The Climate Wars."