IPCC Scientist turns journalist into Climate Sceptic.

An intelligent person would think that if a scientist writing for the IPCC assessment reports got a reasonable question from a journalist, he would try his best to answer it.


(It is a pity that their are not more journalists asking questions, but that's another issue - the decline of the MSM)



The response, or more correctly the lack of a response to a question turned one journalist into a climate sceptic.




Zev Chafers (FOX NEWS) explains:

....I was a columnist for the New York Daily News, recently arrived in the United States after more than 30 years in Israel. I had heard about global warming, of course, but I hadn’t thought much about it. Israel has other, more pressing issues. 
In May 2001, the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change published its third report, which got a lot of media attention. I looked through it and realized immediately that I had no chance of understanding the science.  
I was in good company – I doubt there are half a dozen journalists in captivity who can actually understand the mathematical and chemical formulas and computer projections. That’s what press releases are for. 
One item got my attention. It said: “Projections based on the Special Report on Emissions Scenarios suggest warming over the 21st Century at a more rapid rate than that experienced for at least the last 10,000 years.” 
I called the professor, one of the authors of the report, for a clarification (he remains nameless because we were off the record). “If global warming is caused by man-made emissions,” I asked, “what accounts for the world warming to this same level 10,000 years ago?” 
There was a long silence. Then the professor said, “Are you serious?” I admitted that I was. 
The professor loudly informed me that my question was stupid. The panel’s conclusion was indisputable science, arrived at after years of research by a conclave of the world’s leading climate scholars. Who was I to dispute it? 
I told him I wasn’t disputing it, just trying to understand how, you know, the world could have been this hot before without the help of human agency. 
Maybe this is just a natural climate change like ice ages that once connected continents and warming periods that caused them to drift apart or … 
At which point I heard a click. The professor hung up on me. At that exact moment I became a climate skeptic. I may not know anything about science, but I have learned over a long career that when an expert hangs up in the middle of a question, it means that he doesn’t know the answer.

Comments

  1. Damn Right!
    More pressure will yield the cracks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zev Chafers - ask Dr. Nir Shaviv of Hebrew U - answers right in your own backyard: http://youtu.be/8QtnueIJGjc

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment





All serious comments published after moderation.
Comments should be polite, and respect all views.
No bad language. Spam never makes it!