Typhoons & Carbon Taxes
(Tragic, but not our fault.)
25 November 2013
Another Issue of "Carbon Sense". www.carbon-sense.com. Please pass on.
A print friendly pdf of this newsletter can be found at:
Typhoons and Carbon Taxes
The Chairman of Carbon Sense, Mr Viv Forbes, said that the leaders of the global warming scare campaign who are blaming the use of carbon fuels for Typhoon Haiyan should read their own IPCC scientific report which makes no such claim.
Damaging typhoons have been a fact of life in the Eastern Pacific for all of recorded history. In 1274, Japan was saved from invasion by Kublai Khan when a typhoon destroyed a huge Mongol invasion fleet. A second bigger fleet in 1281 was destroyed by another typhoon which was named Kamikaze or “divine wind” by the grateful Japanese. Typhoons were also frequent and severe during the Little Ice Age around 1670.
Living on the flood plains and beaches around the huge Pacific Ocean is pleasant and productive for billions of humans for most of the time – generally the climate is mild, the rains are regular, the soils are fertile and food is abundant from land and sea. But every sea-side settlement must expect to suffer huge damage or destruction some time from a rogue cyclone, typhoon, hurricane or tsunami. Moreover, as a “Ring of Fire” also circles the Pacific, they can also expect the occasional severe earthquake or volcanic eruption.
To promote the belief that carbon taxes and related handouts will change the natural reality of cyclones and typhoons is no better than modern witchcraft in which western consumers are to be sacrificed on the climate scare altar.
The UN/IPCC frequent flyers attending the Warsaw gabfest should have stayed home and donated their time, energy, air fares, hotel bills, croissants and expense accounts to helping the real victims.
Nowhere in the world are cyclones, hurricanes, typhoons or tornadoes powered by the tiny trace of well-dispersed, invisible carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Anyone who studies storms can observe that the energy of tropical storms comes from localised heat and moisture. Thunderheads are not composed of carbon dioxide – they are composed of water in its various forms. Water is unique in the atmosphere in that it can change phase from a gas, to a liquid, or a solid all within the temperature ranges found on Earth’s surface. Every phase change generates or absorbs considerable energy. It is these latent energies of evaporation and condensation that sustain storms. All such processes are driven by the energy of the sun.
Storms form in areas of sun-heated low pressure where there is a plentiful supply of warm moist air over the sea and masses of cooler high-pressure air over the nearby land. A mega-storm grows as air rushes from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. It starts spinning because of the rotation of the earth. This low-pressure vortex is then maintained by the release of latent heat as moisture in the rising air condenses into rain and hail.
Mega-storms are common in warm tropical waters which supply solar heat and abundant moisture. They tend to die over land, often bringing welcome rain.
Carbon dioxide plays no part in any of these storm processes. Even if it were to cause some global warming, it would tend to warm the poles, reducing the temperature contrasts that power major storms. However, average land and sea temperature has not risen for 16 years; nor has the frequency or intensity of destructive storms.
Clearly, typhoons and cyclones have not been stopped by Australia’s carbon tax. They are tragic, but not our fault. Arguing that a carbon tax and global wealth redistribution are required to prevent typhoons and cyclones is just nonsense. Using this mad logic, it would make more sense to have a “hydrogen tax” on emissions of steam and water vapour (H2O) in an equally futile attempt to remove the real driving energy from tropical mega-storms.
For those who would like to read more:
Intense Typhoons On The Decline:
Cyclone landfalls in Philippines at low level:
Big storms compared: Typhoon Haiyan v The Rest:
Kamikaze saves Japan:
Haiyan is 58th Super Typhoon since 1950 to reach central pressure of 900 mb or lower:
Global Warming not to blame for Typhoon Haiyan:
No significant trends in cyclone frequency or intensity. Increasing damage is due to increasing population and development:
UN Warsaw conference rejects even IPCC science and resorts to stunts, scares and lies:
Tragic, but not our fault:
The Climate See-saw.
Anyone who looks carefully at radiation science and the thermodynamics of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will come to the conclusion that carbon dioxide alone cannot cause a global warming crisis. Even sensible warmists know this. There is a warming effect, but it is tiny and getting smaller as carbon dioxide increases.
So warmists invoke “positive feedbacks” or multipliers, which they say will tip earth into runaway global warming.
Their theory is that an initial small warming will increase evaporation of water from the oceans and methane from the tundra. These two “greenhouse gases” will then cause more atmospheric warming, progressively expelling more carbon dioxide from the warming oceans. “Oceans will boil” claimed warmist leader James Hansen. They also claim that after a postulated “tipping point”, Earth will never recover its balmy equilibrium.
However, they ignore substantial negative feedbacks that act to moderate any tendency to excessive global warming. For example, evaporation cools water bodies and carries surface heat into the upper atmosphere where it dissipates to space. Extra evaporation also produces more clouds that reflect heat and cool the surface. Also methane oxidises and extra plant growth absorbs more solar energy, water vapour and carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
Moreover, the long history of the Earth reveals periods when temperatures and carbon dioxide levels were far higher than today but life flourished and Earth always returned to cooler times – sometimes an ice age. Earth’s climate oscillates like a see-saw, with periodic changes in cycles in the sun and the solar system keeping the see-saw slowly oscillating.
There is no evidence supporting the theory of a global warming tipping point.
Today we live in a comfortably warm climate cycle but in the grand climate cycles, the barren hungry ice is always waiting its turn. Global cooling is a far greater danger to life on Earth than global warming.
Every human alive today is descended from a long line of smart and adaptable ancestors. Those who stay smart and adaptable will survive future see-saws of the climate.
For those who would like to read more:
James Hansen claims oceans will boil:
Here’s some alarming forecasts, bravely also specifying dates:
But a well-known Australian global warmist rejects the tipping point scares:
Climate Forcings and Feedbacks. It is a well buffered and balanced system:
Quiet sun, and increasing ice:
Even the BBC feels the chill:
Finally, modern man (and woman) practicing how to cope with the ice:
Coal Consumption and Global Warming:
Don’t forget this petition. Please sign and help it along:
The Consensus Fractures, and it’s now all about Money and Power.
The Global Warming Scare started when some rich western elites in their deep green bunkers saw it as a way of curbing what they saw as the wasteful and unsustainable life-style of western consumer society (that is, those other people). If they managed this “crisis” properly, they could make great strides in their long-held goals of controlling national and local governments, destroying private property and introducing an unelected elite with access to a world system of taxation and redistribution.
But, voters, consumers and scientists are destroying this green dream:
- The 97% science consensus is busted. A survey of American Meteorological Society members found that “48% either questioned whether global warming is happening or would not ascribe human activity as the primary cause”.
- A recent Australian election was won decisively by Tony Abbott on the clear promise to repeal the carbon tax.
- Japan decided their emission targets were unsustainable and unilaterally increased them. Japan has also decided they would not sign any new Kyoto targets.
- Canada upset the Warsaw climate claimants by refusing to support a massive climate compensation fund. Canada also withdrew from further Kyoto liabilities.
- The US admitted there was no chance that their Senate would agree to fund “compensation” for past emissions.
- UK Prime Minister, David Cameron, who once boasted that he led the greenest ever government, made a huge U-turn by ordering aides to “get rid of all the green crap” which is pushing up energy costs for consumers.
- Carbon trading, once seen as a burgeoning industry, is evaporating in Europe with at least 10 banks in London alone scaling back or closing their trading desks.
- Germany, the heart of green Europe, has signalled it will slash the green energy subsidies and is proceeding to open 10 new coal fired power stations.
- Russia, having milked the gullible west for carbon credits for closing the obsolete Soviet era industrial infrastructure, is no longer interested in emissions targets.
- Poland sacked its minister in charge of the Warsaw climate gabfest, and intends to push ahead as quickly as possible on developing shale gas resources.
- China led a block of 132 nations in a walkout from the Warsaw conference over "loss and damage” an ambit claim that developed nations should be legally liable for compensation when natural disasters strike developing poor nations. No one cared much.
- Even the BBC was moved to comment that the sun’s behaviour may presage another cooling era.
- Finally, Al Gore has sold most of his green investments because they were all losing money.
The community savings being spent or demanded by governments on the climate industry is staggering –
- EU plans to spend €180 billion domestically plus €15 billion in overseas climate aid in the next 6 years.
- USA has spent $6 billion overseas on “climate finance” over the last 2 years and more is committed.
- USA has spent $107 billion domestically on climate change since 2003 and spending is now running at about $9 billion per year.
- Africa is claiming $15 billion by 2020 to adapt infrastructure to cope with global warming.
- “Poor” countries like China, India, Brazil and South Africa are heading a claimant coalition of 190 nations demanding climate-aid guilt money of $100 billion per year.
- The Australian federal government has no idea how much is being spent in dozens of un-coordinated federal, state and local government climate programs, overseas climate aid and spending on overseas carbon credits but a figure of $20 billion has been mentioned.
- And all over the western world, consumers are being impoverished by soaring electricity charges, as green energy costs get passed on.
All we have to show for this spending are massive computers producing worthless forecasts, thousands of wind and solar plants producing trickle-power intermittently, millions of green jobs producing propaganda, many overseas trips for the climate bureaucracy and not much else.
Imagine if this deluge of money had been spent on flood-proof railways, roads and bridges, cyclone-proof power supplies, drought-proof water supplies, fire-fighting equipment, community shelters for fires, floods and cyclones, emergency helicopters and helipads and so on.
Instead, this money has been frittered away so that all western governments are in now financial distress, and soon will be unable to help even their own people.
At the same time, the same people behind the climate scare are manning Shut-the-gate movements all over the western world. Their prime target has been exploration for oil, coal, shale gas, coal seam gas and uranium, but they have also denied access to vast tracts on land and sea for exploration, mining, farming, forestry, fishing, water supply, railways, ports and pipelines.
Not since the days of the Aztecs has a priesthood inflicted such lethal sacrifice on its own people. They have vastly increased the costs to be borne by taxpayers and consumers, while at the same time crippling those industries that are the primary generators of real wealth.
Maybe some future historian will write a massive tome titled “The Decline and Fall of Western Civilisation – how a green-robed priesthood sapped a vibrant society of its desire and ability to feed and defend itself”.