|Orwell based the MoT on his|
the Ministry of Information
The Ministry of Truth, Winston's place of work, contained, it was said, three thousand rooms above ground level, and corresponding ramifications below.Reminds TCSblog of the IPCC. Reminds TCSblog of "our" ABC.
The Ministry of Truth concerned itself with Lies. Party ownership of the print media made it easy to manipulate public opinion, and the film and radio carried the process further.
The primary job of the Ministry of Truth was to supply the citizens of Oceania with newspapers, films, textbooks, telescreen programmes, plays, novels - with every conceivable kind of information, instruction, or entertainment, from a statue to a slogan, from a lyric poem to a biological treatise, and from a child's spelling-book to a Newspeak dictionary.
The IPCC constantly promoted the idea that all their supporting documents were from peer-reviewed papers. In The Delinquent Teenager, Donna Laframboise exposed this bit of misinformation and its head, Rajendra Pachauri. Donna recently wrote:
Pachauri’s record is a gruesome one. His claim:
- that IPCC reports rely solely on peer-reviewed literature is demonstrably false
- that the IPCC carries out its work with “complete transparency” was repudiated by the authors of the above-mentioned report
- that the IPCC’s “review process is very robust, very vigorous” was also shot down [113-page PDF here, short version here]
- that there is no better process “on this planet” than the IPCC’s was thoroughly chopped and minced
- that IPCC reports are written by the world’s top experts appears increasingly unfounded (see here, here & here)
"Our" ABC has also outed themselves as being a biased pusher of their own point of view. See here and here.
Since his speech I have been contacted by a number of Media Alliance members from the ABC’s news and current affairs team who have interpreted Mr Newman’s remarks as an attempt to influence the ABC’s line on climate change.